Warrior I Pose – Virabhadrasana I
How to do
– Front knee is bent directly over front ankle
– Back leg is straight
– Hips are square to the front of your space
– Arms reaching up or in front
– Shoulders relaxing down toward the earth
– Gaze up toward hands
– Strengthens and stretches ankles, calves, knees, hips and thighs
– Stretches the chest and lungs, shoulders and neck, belly, groins (psoas)
– Strengthens the shoulders and arms, and the muscles of the back
– Students with shoulder problems should keep their raised arms parallel (or slightly wider than parallel) to each other.
– Students with neck problems should keep their head in a neutral position and not look up at the hands.